Picnic Fireworks Quilt

Hi, it’s Jessica Dayon (@jessicadayon) here.  I’m happy to be back at Moda Bake Shop today sharing this tutorial with you.  When I saw Picnic Basket Wovens by Moda, I was so excited and immediately started thinking of fireworks at the park, summer picnics on hot, lazy days, the americana decor that fills my house in the summer months…  I came up with this quilt to celebrate those things and showcase this beautiful fabric!  Let’s get started– this is going to be fun!

This quilt finishes at 72″ x 72″.

1 Fat Quarter Bundle of Picnic Basket Wovens by Moda  {SKU 12134AB} (you’ll have enough in this bundle to make the binding as well)
3.75 yards Bella Solids White Bleached (background fabric) {SKU 9900 98}
1/2 yard Picnic Basket Check Red  {SKU 12134 13}
4.5 yards Picnic Basket Check Navy  {SKU 12134 21}

{optional}

Mary Ellen’s Best Press

To start, I pressed all of my fabric in the fat quarter bundle using Best Press.  I recommend this step since the fabrics are woven they can be a little stretchy.  Using a starch helps counteract the stretchiness.

From the 10 navy fat quarters, cut 3- 2.5″ x 21″ strips.  Take one strip from each fabric and subcut each strip into 2.5″ squares.  Set aside the other 20 strips, these will be used to make your binding.

From the 10 red fat quarters, cut 2- 5″ x 21″ strips and 2- 3.5″ x 21″ strips.  Subcut the 5″ x 21″ strips into 2.5″ x 5″ pieces (7 per strip).  You will get 140- 2.5″ x 5″ pieces.  Subcut the 3.5″ x 21″ strips into 2.5″ x 3.5″ pieces (7 per strip).  You will get 140- 2.5″ 3.5″ pieces.

From the red 1/2 yard, cut 2- 5″ x width of fabric strips and 2- 3.5″ x width of fabric strips.  Subcut the 5″ x strips into 2.5″ x 5″ pieces (14 per strip).  You will get 28- 2.5″ x 5″ pieces.  Subcut the 3.5″ strips into 2.5″ x 3.5″ pieces (14 per strip).  You will get 28- 2.5″ 3.5″ pieces.

From the white background fabric, cut the following:

*14- 3.5″ strips subcut into 3.5″ squares (12 per strip; 168 total); subcut those squares again in half once along the diagonal

*3- 2.5″ strips subcut into 2.5″ squares (16 per strip; 48 total)

*5- 3.5″ strips subcut into 2.5″ rectangles (16 per strip; 80 total)

*7- 8.5″ strips subcut into 3.5″ rectangles (12 per strip; 84 total)

To make the navy and white blocks, get the navy 2.5″ squares and white 2.5″ x 3.5″ rectangles ready.

Sew a navy square to a white rectangle on the 2.5″ side.  Chain piece 40 of these.

Next, sew another white rectangle to the other side of the navy square.  Chain piece 40 of them.

Press, making sure the seam goes toward the navy.

Now bring over the large white rectangles that measure 3.5″ x 8.5″.  Lay a center strip along the top edge of a large white rectangle, right sides together.  Sew across the top.

Chain piece 40 of them.  Press, seams to the center strip.

Lay out another white rectangle, lay the piece you just made with the 8.5″ edges lining up.  Sew across the top.

Chain piece 40 of them.  Press, seams to the center strip.

Your navy blocks are completed.  Set aside.

To make the red and white blocks, begin by getting the red 2.5″ x 5″ rectangles and white triangles ready.

Line the long edge of the triangle up along the red rectangle.

Sew across. Chain piece 164 of these.

Line another white triangle up along other side of the red rectangle.  Sew across.  Chain piece 164 of these.

Press with the seams going toward the red middle.

Trim these pieces as follows.  Lay the square on your cutting board.  Use a square ruler that’s at least 4.5″.

Line your ruler up so that the lower triangle is set right on the 4″ lines.

Trim away the excess.  Turn your piece around.  Line you ruler up so that the lower triangle is set right on the 3.5″ lines.

Trim away the excess.

Repeat for all of the squares.  Set aside.

To make the middle portion of the red blocks, get the red 2.5″ x 3.5″ rectangles and the white 2.5″ pieces ready.  Sew a red rectangle and a white square together, right sides together, along the 2.5″ side.

Chain piece 41.

Next, sew another red rectangle to the other side of the white square.  Chain piece 41.

Press, making sure the seam goes toward the red.

To assemble the red block, lay out the red diagonal blocks and the red 2.5″ x 3.5″ rectangles.

Make sure the diagonal is oriented as shown below.

Place a rectangle on top, right sides together, sew along the 3.5 inch sides.

Repeat with another red diagonal on the other side of the red rectangle.  Press with the seams going to the red rectangle.  Make 82 of these.

To complete the red block, sew a red middle strip to a red diagonal strip.  Repeat on the other side of the red middle.  Make 41.

Assemble the quilt into rows and then sew the rows together.

To finish your quilt, make your backing, baste your quilt, and quilt your quilt.  To bind your quilt, use 16 of the 2.5″ strips that we set aside before from the navy fat quarters to make scrappy binding.  I love how they offset the mostly red quilt and I really love scrappy binding!!

Picnic Fireworks finishes at 72″ x 72″.

I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial and find it easy to follow!  Follow me on Instagram @skeinandhook to see what I’m working on next.  I’d love to see your Picnic Firework quilts!  Tag me on Instagram in your post and use the hashtag #picnicfireworksquilt.

Jessica Dayon

{@jessicadayon}
{Skein and Hook}

65 comments on “Picnic Fireworks Quilt

1. Olivia Marie Lott-Reese says:

My mouth fell completely open. This is so gorgeous. Yes I’m adding it to my to make list. Thank you for the pattern.

2. Ann M says:

Great quilt and a very thorough tutorial. Thank-you!

3. Patricia Campbell (Ivy'sGrammy) says:

LVE!!!

4. Suzanne says:

I love this! Colors and prints are perfect for a summer quilt!

5. Sharla says:

Beautiful pattern, and I love the fabric colors in your quilt. Thank you for sharing, I look forward to making this.

6. Suzan says:

This is an awesome quilt! Love it!

7. Fiona Brandt says:

What a wonderful picnic quilt! Love it!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!!
    Happy quilting. Xx

8. WesternNYLady says:

Makes me think of summer picnics with my family. Nice trick with the diagonal corner cutting. Love that the quilt is photographed with snow still on the ground. Another dusting of snow here this morning.

9. Barbara A. Johnson says:

I especially love the way you have assembled this! I will be making this one for sure:)) Thanks GB

10. Lisa H. says:

I really like this design! I’m definitely adding this to my list. Thanks for giving us such a clear tutorial!

11. Kaholly says:

Looks great, Jessica!

12. Rosemaryflower says:

Jessica, this is a cute and beautiful quilt pattern

13. Betty says:

Wow, absolutely the quilt pattern that calls out to be made. I have the perfect fabric that has just been waiting for the perfect project and you have given me that big time. Thank you so much for sharing your talents.

14. Letty says:

One of the prettiest Bake Shop patterns in ages – it’s wonderful!

15. Hope says:

I Jove this. I have to find time to make this one. Just as soon as I am moved and settled.

16. Diane L. says:

What an attractive quilt. Thanks for a great trimming idea for the diagonal units.

17. Portia Hutcheson says:

LOVE THIS!!! Can’t wait to make one. Thanks for sharing!!!

18. kathy says:

very nice love the colors

19. Kathleen Alice says:

I bought the recommended Moda fabric and just need 1/2 yard of the red check. I’m not having any luck finding it and may have to substitute something. This is the first time I have used a woven fabric. Plan to use spray starch to help eliminate stretching. Any other tips would be welcome.

• Hi Kathleen,

The fabric I used in this tutorial is not available quite yet. It will ship to quilt shops in May 2018. But Moda does have many wovens available now that you could use right away (though they won’t be exact matches). Starching is a great idea to prevent stretching. If you have any questions, let me know!

Jessica

20. Diane Smith says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

21. Barbara says:

I love this quilt! So fun! Your instructions are very easy to follow, as are the pictures. Could you tell me what size the finished blocks are? Hope to see more from you!

22. Ellen D. says:

Picnic Fireworks may be my all time favorite Moda Bake Shop quilt pattern. Love the colors you used & how it does indeed look like bursts of fireworks in the sky. Your step by step tutorial is well written & will make it easy to put together, I have a large stash of red & black fabrics and I never found the right project for them – until now. Thanks again for the fantastic pattern & the inspiration.

• Hi Ellen,

Thank you so much! Your kind comments mean the world to me and I so appreciate you taking the time to post. When you make your version of Picnic Fireworks, I’d love to see! Tag me on Instagram @skeinandhook or email me!

Jessica

23. Lynn Cruickshank says:

Beautiful quilt but shouldn’t the rectangles for the alternate block be cut 3.5 x 8.5? Instructions
    say 3 x 8.5

• HI Lynn,

Thank you so much for bringing that typo to my attention! You are correct, the rectangles for the alternate blocks should measure 3.5″ x 8.5″. I have gone back and fixed the pattern. I am just waiting for an admin to fix the PDF version. This will be done ASAP. Sorry about that!

Thank you again!
      Jessica

• Lynn Cruickshank says:

Oh good, I’m glad I made only one block that way! I’m on my way with this quilt using bright oranges with a blue chambray background. Love it!

• Lynn,

I’m so sorry for that mistake! I’m glad you caught it before you made all of your blocks! I apologize again. I’d love to see your version! Tag me on Instagram @skeinandhook or send me an email.

Jessica

24. Bevann says:

This quilt will look great in summer colors, like flowers, maybe even sunflowers! Such great directions, I think I can even follow them. thank you!

• Hi Bevann,

I am so glad you like the pattern and that you can easily follow along with the tutorial! Sunflowers is a great idea! If you make one, I’d love to see! Tag me on Instagram @skeinandhook or email me.

Jessica

25. Marion Lyon says:

Thanks for your lovely pattern, your colour choice is perfect

26. Betsy says:

Lovely. Is the flying geese picture in red and white in error? Is there an errata section to the website?

• Hi Betsy,

I see how that picture looks like a flying goose unit. It is not though. It is a picture of the red rectangle unit with the triangle along the long side where you sew them together. Please let me know if you have any other questions on the pattern. I do not see an errata section on the website. I think that the individual pattern is updated if there is a error.

Thanks,
      Jessica

27. Kim says:

Jessica, I received this pattern through a moda bake shop email. Loved it and downloaded the 4/9/18 pattern. Cut out all the pieces, only to find an error in the pattern after all was cut. Cut all my 8.5” pieces at 3” when they should have been 3.5”. I do see the error has been corrected, but to late for me. Wasted my $20 worth if fabric. These patterns need to be proofread many times for errors. Very unhappy

• Margie Cox says:

I’m glad another person asked for the finished block size, but it would also have been helpful to know the square-up sizes for each section to know I am on track..

• Hi Kim,

I apologize for this. I understand exactly how you feel and I know I’d feel the same way. These patterns are proof read but unfortunately errors can still happen. I tried to get it corrected as soon as possible but for people who printed the pattern right away, there was no way correct that. I posted on Instagram- @skeinandhook- to let me followers know of the error but if you do not follow me, you would not have seen it. Again, I am so sorry for this mishap.

Jessica

• I’d say, always be careful to read the pattern, whether it was free or you paid for it. Errors happen, designers are human too (!). I think it’s pretty clear for this simple ‘framed square’ design what the sizes of the pieces should be. And always make a test block, just to be on the safe side.

28. Claudia Mielke says:

If anyone has downloaded/printed instructions – PLEASE print new! I thought I had the latest and greatest only to find out that I cut my 8.5″ strips TOO NARROW!! So very disappointed that I did not do a test block first but instead decided to cut all my fabric pieces, now i have more scraps and need to buy new fabric to complete this quilt.

29. Mary Beth Rucker says:

This is beautiful! I immediately ordered the fat quarters and the white yardage. I have it cut out and ready to be stitched. However, I am having difficulty finding the Moda navy check yardage and the red check yardage. You mentioned that it would be in the stores in May. Any ideas where I might be able to get it?

• Hi Mary Beth,

The yardage has not yet started shipping to quilt shops so I think that is why you cannot find it yet. I think it will be shipping within the next few days. If you cannot find it within a week or two, email me and I’ll help you locate it. Thank you!

Jessica

30. Such an explosive. impactful design Jessica, thank you! It’s perfect for reds and blues. I think I’d intermix the colours, making half the blocks blue and half red. Not sure about wovens, as I’m a very beginner quilt piecer and fear the “fray factor”. Still, I know Moda have tons of other red and blue fabrics that I’m sure would work very well with this design. Thanks! ~Diana from Toronto