Border 1

We have reached the end of Week 1 of our Choose Your Own Adventure Quilt-Along! You’ve seen the choices for Path A and Path B centers. Which adventure did you choose?!

NOTE: This is one post in a series of quilt-along posts. Start from the beginning with the first post {here}.

Next week we will have two options for the latest Round-about our medallion – Path A on Monday and Path B on Wednesday. We will stick to this routine for the rest of our time here at camp. Typically our border posts will fall on Sunday to go along with Sunday Social and Fridays will be reserved for the optional cornerstones. Confusing? Don’t worry! Just keep checking back in, download this printable, and you will be on your own path to adventure in no time.

• (2) 1″ x 20.5″ strips for top/bottom borders
  • (2) 1″ x 21.5″ strips for side borders

We suggest using background fabric for this border but if you want to make it pop, by all means – pop away!

Lightly starch and press your completed medallion center block. Square it up to 20.5″ x 20.5″.

Sew 1″ x 20.5″ strips to the top and bottom of your block. Press.

Sew 1″ x 21.5″ strips to each side of your block. Press, lightly starch, and press the whole block one more time.

The medallion center + border should measure 21.5″ square. And that’s it for this week! See you back here for Sunday Social.

[Facebook page: facebook.com/ModaBakeShop]
[Facebook group: facebook.com/groups/MBSbakers]
[Instagram: @modabakeshop]

Oda May

Oda May

The Moda Bake Shop is a division of Moda Fabrics that provides online recipes which you can use with the wide range of Moda Pre-cuts. All sizes and types of projects will be featured from various designers and shops. Tutorials for various Moda projects sheets will be illustrated with step by step pictures. Some techniques and products will also be featured throughout, so check back often for what is "baking" here at Moda Fabrics.
Oda May

Latest posts by Oda May (see all)

19 comments on “Border 1

1. Pamela Copeland says:

Why didn’t you just make Path A background bigger? If I add the background fabric around it now, it will look like I made a mistake and had to make my block bigger. It would have been nice to start with the bigger block, then trim it down if you wanted to use a different color for this border. Not sure what I’ll do now since I would prefer to use the background fabric.

• Paula says:

Good point for the Path A medallion. I agree it will look a bit strange if you now add a background border.

• Lisa Calle says:

You may feel differently when you see it start coming together! Each round has a border but it’s a good idea to hold off until we reveal a little more if you aren’t sure about the look yet. Then once you see a little more, you can say yes or no to the border in background or print, etc.

• Hi Everyone!

The border is not a mistake. We carefully thought out every aspect of this QAL. Unfortunately sometimes mistakes occur and we will do our best to make sure that doesn’t happen but if it does, we will let you all know. I really believe it will not look like a mistake, but a border. And, once your quilt is quilted up, you probably won’t see it at all if you choose to make this border in background color.

We hope you enjoy making your quilt!

Thanks for participating!

Jessica

2. Elizabeth says:

What will the completed quilt look like? Is there a picture some place that I missed?

• Patti says:

Elizabeth, this is “choose your adventure” so the quilt hasn’t been designed yet. You will be the designer and choose each part as they are published, A or B! Fun!

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

You can also mix path A and B together. Block sizes will be the same in each round. Enjoy your adventure.

3. Diana says:

I believe the strips will need to be 1.5 ” wide if we need a finished block 21.5″ squared .

4. ELSIE a RIDGLEY says:

It was difficult for me to choose between Path A and B so I decided to do them both. I will have two!!!

• Hi Elsie!

Sounds fantastic! Can’t wait to see both of your versions!

Jessica

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

I had a dream about doing two quilts. The second one will contain all the block I didn’t do in my first quilt. I will start my second after my first is completed. Looking forward to seeing your versions.

5. I decided to wait a bit before choosing my border fabric for this narrow border. If the next round has lots of background fabric, then I think a really narrow dark or colourful border will look great to separate them. If not, then I think I will go with background fabrics. Bring it on. I’m so eager to see how this goes.

6. Nancy Gibson says:

I tried something a little different for Path A for the Dresden Plate circle I used an English Paper pieced flower didn’t need to cut a circle.

7. Diana Marlow says:

I love this quilt! I am enjoying the adventure. I love it so much that I am making two different quilts! I have not posted a picture of my work yet because I am catching up! Thank all the great ladies that took the time to make this possible! I have enjoyed every minute of it!

8. Marsha Austin says:

OK, call me stupid. I can not figure out where the instructions nor choices of path A or B are. Can someone please straighten me out?

We love to hear from you! Let our Chefs know how much you appreciate their hard work.