Choose Your Own Adventure: Sunday Social

Welcome to our first Sunday Social!

Sunday Social will be a regular feature in this quilt-along. It’s a chance for everyone to touch base, ask questions, and for us to share some information and tips. Sunday Social days will also include the instructions for that week’s border once we’ve begun sewing.

We will post here on the blog for the main instructions or tips. There will also be a comment thread on our Facebook group and a post on Instagram. Jump in wherever!

Our topic for this week is a little Q&A based on the messages and comments we’ve received about the quilt-along.

1. What are the dates?

The first block post is June 25 and the last borders will be posted on July 29. This QAL will always be available here on the Moda Bake Shop so please sew at your own pace and don’t feel rushed.

2. How do I join the quilt-along?

Just follow along here on the blog! All of the information you need will be posted here but there will also be some fun extras on Facebook and Instagram.

You can sign up to have new posts emailed to you automatically if you’d like. Just enter your email address into the “Email Updates” form on the right side of the blog. You will need to confirm your subscription by clicking on a link in the email you receive and then you’re all set!

3. Can a beginner do this?

The most challenging part of making a medallion quilt is maintaining an accurate seam allowance since each round of blocks must fit around the previous one. Practice your scant 1/4″ seam and trim each block to the listed size as you go. We will offer some tips along the way.

Also, each week we will offer two block options. Choose the one that is easier for you to make. The keys to quilting are: pressing, careful cutting, and an accurate seam allowance. You can do it!

4. What is the finished size of the quilt?

The quilt is designed to finish at 72″ square.

5. Can I combine layer cakes and fat quarters?

Yes! Feel free to combine a mix of layer cakes, fat quarters, and even half yards or full yards to make a quilt that you will love. Just try to keep these substitutions in mind to make sure your chosen fabric adds up to the amounts listed for Fabric Requirements.

Substitutions:

1 Layer Cake® = 10 fat quarters

1/2 yard = 2 fat quarters

1 yard = 4 fat quarters

6. Can I mix path A and B in my quilt or do I have to stick to one or the other?

Absolutely! The beauty of this clever design that our Chefs/Camp Counselors have put together is that everyone can make a completely different quilt. Choose your adventure each week by going down Path A or Path B. You will also choose whether or not to add a cornerstone to your borders.

Be sure to download and print our Summer Camp Project Tracker! This is a simple one-sheet reference page to help you keep track of each round, borders, etc.  Click on the Printer Friendly Version at the bottom of this post for a printable PDF. This also has the fabric requirements for the project and a spot to make notes about the fabrics and colors you’re going to use.

We can’t wait to get started.

Facebook page: facebook.com/ModaBakeShop

Facebook group: facebook.com/groups/MBSbakers

Instagram: @modabakeshop

34 comments on “Choose Your Own Adventure: Sunday Social

1. Ann M says:

Thanks, I am excited to start.

2. Cynthia Wood says:

Ready to get started.

3. Heather says:

For some reason I thought it was starting later. I just ordered my background fabrics from FQS so I’ll be starting late. It takes 2-3 weeks to get orders in Canada. I’m excited!

4. Vera says:

Sounds like a challenge for me and I’m ready to start!

5. Connie Work says:

I love doing this kind of thing, there is something about sitting at my sewing machine working on a block and knowing there are women all over the world doing the same thing, but with their own vision for fabric layout, etc. Sisters in sewing!!!

6. Wendy says:

This looks like fun! I am not able to subscribe to your blog/notifications as it won’t let me access it.

7. Lori says:

I don’t know where the fabric requirements are either. Were they in an earlier post?

8. Anita johnson says:

I looked on the pdf print out and I don’t know why but I can’t seem to see the fabric requirements. Am I missing them somewhere?

9. Pamela Copeland says:

Path A and Path B don’t come out at the same time. Will we get behind when we wait for Path B before making a decision as to which one to make?

10. Shari says:

It won’t let me subscribe.

11. Lorie Johnson says:

can the background be directional? a print?

• Christine Weld says:

Hello! Camp Counselor Christine here. A subtle print (small dots, grunge, a cross hatch, etc.) would work well, but a directional print would get tricky and is probably best avoided.

12. Linda Orr says:

The email update is not working for me. How do I sign up?

13. Gerardine M. Sullivan says:

I was not able to subscride. The message saidEmail Updates
    There was an error when subscribing. Please try again.

I tried a second time and e.ot this messagg

14. Leslie May says:

You need to enter your email address on the right hand side of the blog not in that center part of the conversation. I kept making that mistake as well :). Looking forward to this Quilt A Long Summer Adventure!

15. I’m very intrigued and can’t wait to see the first block release.

16. Brigitte says:

Hallo
    I am Brigitte from Germany
    Came home from offfice but no first block :0(((( here it is already after 5 pm
    Does anyone know at what time the campwill open
    In Germany we usually have no summer camps

17. Gillian says:

It’s 2pm EST what time will the first block be released? Keen to get started at Camp!

18. Cindy Krelle says:

WHERE ARE THE PATTERNS FOR THE BLOCKS? IVE CLICKED EVERY POSSIBLE THING AND NOTHING RESULTS IN A PATTERN FOR EVEN ONE BLOCK. EVEN CLICKING ON ADDING MY EMAIL RESULTS IN MAKING ME “PIN” THIS SECTION. VERY FRUSTRATING!

• Lisa Calle says:

Hi Cindy – on the Moda Bake Shop each post with instructions has these instructions at the very end of the post with a “Printer Friendly Version.” Clicking on that image opens a PDF that has been formatted for easy printing. To save paper (which we recommend), you can also save the PDF files on your computer, tablet, or phone to look at later.

19. Polly Monica says:

Oda May, would a fat eight bundle be enough for the two layer cakes?

20. Cheryl May says:

I’ve been quilting for just one year. I’ve never done a medallion quilt before, so this will be a challenge for me. Excited about learning something new. My scant 1/4 inch is pretty good, it’s my pressing that is bad. I seem to stretch the fabric when I press. I’m trying really hard not to “iron” my seams but to press them.

21. Shauna says:

Look forward to joining you at camp this summer! Just need to get things organized, like the colors I am going to wear and get my suitcase packed! See you soon!

22. Becky Gilliam says:

I tried to subscribe to receive your emails and it flips to “pin it” instead!! Who can fix this???? I have applied to join fb groups but I want to receive your emails!!

• Lisa Calle says:

Hi Becky! Be sure you are entering your info in the sidebar of the blog – not clicking on the photo in the post. That’s just there to show you what to look for on the right side of the blog. Scroll down a bit and you will see it.

23. Christine Lynch says:

This looks like so much
    fun….I having fun just reading everyone’s excited comments.