Path A: Dresden Peak

Welcome to our first block in Oda May’s Summer Camp quilt-along! Today we have the first of two center options for you. Which one will you choose?!

NOTE: This is one post in a series of quilt-along posts. Start from the beginning with the first post {here}.

I am camp counselor Mary Andra Holmes, of MahQuilter Designs and a sister of Sisters Quilting Trunk.  I’m at the top of majestic Dresden Peak which is the start of Path A.  Several campers who have chosen applique’ as their adventure for their center medallion have joined me. We are looking down at Camp Oda May for color inspiration.  I see a sky filled with puffy white clouds, beautiful blue water and a red covered bridge going over the river.  If applique’ is not your adventure, take a little detour as you travel down the mountain towards camp, you will find Path B.  Camp counselor, Kristina Brinkerhoff, will be waiting for you at Star Valley on June 27th.

This block  finishes at 20″ x 20″. Including seam allowance it will measure 20.5″ x 20.5″

Notes:

WOF = width of fabric

Use a scant 1/4″ seam unless otherwise noted.

• 3 fat quarters or 6 Layer Cakes
  • 20.5″ square of background fabric OR (1) 10.5″  WOF  strip of background fabric

• Point Turner by Clover

Please read all directions before cutting fabric. Print out templates from the Printer Friendly File before beginning. Transfer to template plastic,wax paper or use plain paper depending on your preference.

CUTTING

From Background Fabric, cut:

• (1) 20.5″ square  OR (4) 10.5″ x 10.5″ from 10.5″ strip*

*You can make the dresden in four sections instead of one. If you are a beginner appliquer, handling less fabric in your hand is easier.

From Fat Quarters or Layer Cakes, cut:

• (24) of  template A
  • (4) template B  OR  (1) template C for Dresden center

NOTE: Placement of template is especially  important if you are using all Layer Cakes. Lay the cutting template down as shown, aligning the wide tip of the petal with the top left corner of your fabric piece. Note that the dashed line shown on the template is the finished size of the Dresden petal. Do not use the dashed line for cutting.

Cut 1: Trim Fat Quarter or Layer Cake to Dresden petal height.

Cut 2: Cut left side of Dresden petal.

Cut 3: Cut right side of Dresden petal. Flip template upside down.

Cut 4: Make sure template is aligned and then cut right side of second Dresden petal.

Repeat this flip and cut process to cut out 24 Dresden petals from various prints or solids.

Sewing Instructions:

1. Fold each petal in half, right sides together and finger press along the fold line.

2. Machine stitch along the top – the widest part, using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Backstitch at start and end of seam.

3. On the folded side of the seam, and up about 1/8″, cut point off. This eliminates bulk at point.

4. Finger press seam open and turn tip inside out. Use the point turner to distribute fabric at tip. Line up seam line to fold line and iron. Repeat for all 24 petals.

20.5″ Background Instructions

Machine sew all (24) petals together to form a circle. Fold background square in half and finger press fold line. Open square up and fold in opposite direction, and again finger press fold line. Open up and you will clearly see your center. Center your finished Dresden Plate using the fold lines as a guide and applique in place by machine or by hand. Place circle your made with Template C in center and applique in place. All done!

(4) 10.5″ Background Instructions

Sew (6) petals together and applique in place on each of the four 10.5″ blocks. Applique quarter template B in place. Repeat for remaining petals and background squares. Sew all 4 sections together to form a circle making sure all seams line up in each section.  All done!

This is how my Dresden Peak block turned out:

This block finishes at 20″ square.

Thank you for joining Camp Oda May. I’m sure our paths will meet up again along the way. As all blocks are the same size in each path, you may follow both paths and mix them up. Choosing your own adventure sure is fun. Tag us on Instagram using #chooseyourownadventureQAL We would love to follow your adventure.

Enjoy Camp. I’m bringing S’mores!

Mary Andra Holmes

[blog: sistersquiltingtrunk.blogspot.com ]
[instagram: @MAHquilter]

Mary Andra Holmes
Mary Andra Holmes

Latest posts by Mary Andra Holmes (see all)

59 comments on “Path A: Dresden Peak

1. Susan Lane says:

Where do we find the templates? I don’t see a Print Friendly File.

• Linda Losinski says:

It’s right above Mary’s picture

• Lise says:

You’re not alone, do you see it?

• It can blend in if you’re not sure where to look! It’s at the very end of the post, right above the photo of Mary (before the comments start). I hope that helps!

• Lise says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Got it! And, now I know where to look for future blocks!

• Glenda Holland says:

Hello! I still cannot find the PDF file with the template. Is there somewhere else that it could be?

Hello Glenda,
          As you scroll down the page, please look for the word YIELD located on the left side of the page. It is below the picture of the Dresden Plate with Aurifil thread on top of it. There will be a picture of a printer with the words Printer Friendly Version. It will be above a picture of my face. Please let me know if you still can not find it. Wishing you a beautiful day.

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

It’s on the left side of the page right above my picture. 🙂

2. Leslie May says:

Very Pretty, Mary Andra! I haven’t done any applique yet, but I really have wanted to try the Dresden plate! Is there Creative Grids or some type of acrylic template that we could use instead ? Thanks!

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

Not that I am aware of. It was specific to fit a 20″ block.

Thank you very much.

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

How I make acrylic templates. Roughly cut out your pattern piece on paper. Cut a piece of acrylic plastic a tad larger then your pattern piece. Cover acrylic with 3M double stick tape. Place your paper piece on top of tape and cut out to exact size of pattern. Trace acrylic pattern on fabric and use ruler and rotary cutter to cut several pieces at one time following your tracing lines. Not your set to start your Dresden.

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

There is an 8″ EZ Dresden ruler that will make 20 padels (not 24) that perfectly fit. I hope this helps. 🙂

3. Stasi M. says:

When will the second option be available, so that we can choose our center?

4. Peggy Giese says:

Can’t wait to get started! Will be using Pepper and Flax, just waiting for my background fabric to appear! I LOVE DRESDENS

5. Mary Ann says:

Having second thoughts on doing this The first block is considered ambitious, and I am definitely a beginner…..

• Camp counselor Kristin here 🙂 There will be another option for the center block posted on Wednesday. Stay tuned for that one!

• Ann says:

It would be nice to have a preview for the Wednesday post to see if we should wait, especially if pressed for time during a certain week. I’m super excited to start, but want to wait and see my options.

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

I understand. While your waiting, please check out my blog. It will give you an easier way of doing the large center. Sistersquiltingtrunk.blogspot.com Also letting you know the pieced block is fabulous.

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

Hi Ann, Camp counselor Mah again. Just wanted you to know that Oda May will be giving everyone enough time in between each section to be able to keep up. BUT….. this is not a race. Some are printing patterns now so they can finish projects they already started. We want you to enjoy the process.

6. Maureen Livingston says:

What is the fabric you are using?

7. Sharon Z says:

I can’t get the template to come out the right size on printer….

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

I sent you an email. I will try to answer here again so others can read it too.

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

Common issue with printers. You may have to redraw it using measurements written on the pattern.

• Peggy Tschetter says:

I am trying to redraw the template because my printer didn’t print the correct size. On your blog, you say the center circle will be a 3.5″ circle. Is that cut diameter or finished diameter? There isn’t a measurement on the pattern. Thank you.

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

I really don’t want you to waste paper but you may want to increase/decrease IE: 104/96 % to see if that works.

8. Renee M. says:

Hi Mary,
    I love the Dresden! It is an exciting start! I made a 20 block Dresden scrap and it is one of the prettiest quilts I’ve ever made. I did hand applique them which was very easy because the pieces were larger like this pattern. The petal technique is also easy once you’ve made a few. I look forward to getting my block done.

9. Mary Andra Holmes says:

I can’t wait to see it. Please tag me when you post. Thank you.

10. Geri A says:

I cannot decide if I should use two of the same layer cakes, or two different ones that would coordinate? What would be your suggestion??

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

If you love scrappy quilts, two different that coordinate, you will love your finished quilt.

11. I absolutely love it Mary Andra ! Fantastic tutorial and I love the fabrics in the demo block. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise with us….

12. Julie James says:

If you have the option, choose to print “Actual Size”, rather than “Fit”. That worked for me and the templates came out the correct sizes.

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

Thank you so very much Julie for this information. I love learning something new.

• Julie James says:

Every printer is different. A laser printer will print different than an ink jet and a HP different than a Canon, etc. You just need to experiment a couple of times to figure out what works with yours. 🙂

13. Kathy J Firth says:

I had to increase size to 104% and it worked great.

14. Barb Street says:

Would the Snowberry line from the winter look good in this quilt?

15. Yvonne Bolger says:

I have a Cannon printer. I enlarged it to 106% and still not large enough according to measurements. If I print it any larger, it’s off the page. Maybe would work better if B and C were printed in a separate window and A by itself.

16. Just suggested 2 separate windows, one for B and C and one for A to allow for enlargement. Just measured the center circle which is right on the money of 3.5″ even though everything else is off which makes me question if the measurements given for A are incorrect to begin with.

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

I just posted a picture to IG showing the actual pieces I used to make my
      Dresden Plate. Circle is 3.5″ finished. Pedal measurements are as printed on the pattern.
      Unfortunately due to government regulations on printers, I would suggest you may have to redraw the pattern using the measurements provided. I’m am so sorry this is happening.

17. I’m delighted you answered so quickly…..thank you so much! Will take your suggestion and draw my own pattern from the measurements given. I’m sure your measurements are correct and it’s just my printer…… it’s relatively new but it was a discontinued model…..;maybe now I know why !!!!!! Will the other blocks have measurements as well?

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

Absolutely they will. I can’t wait to see your creative adventure as It progresses. Hoping to see you often at Camp Oda May.

18. Lisa Calle says:

For those of you having trouble with the template size!!! Try saving the file on your computer and then opening it to print. Printing directly from a browser window often scales the file down and/or does not allow the option of “no scaling” or “print at 100%”.

19. Mary Andra Holmes says:

Please remember all the different sizes discussed will still finish into a fabulous Dresden plate. If you use the pieces from the one page, everything will fit. Your circle may finish 1/2” or less smaller then mine but will still be perfect. I’m here to continue to help you any way I can. That’s what Camp Oda May counselors do.

I’ll see you at Camp tomorrow. I’ll be visiting camp Counselor Kristina at Star Valley. Hope to see you there.

20. Sue says:

Where’s Path B?

21. Mary Andra Holmes says:

Path B starts with the Star Valley medallion block.

22. Barbie says:

If we are doing option a, and want to use addressed in template or ruler what degree is it…?

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

So far rulers have not worked. Those who did use an 8″ ruler had to omit three of the pedals.

23. Sandra Weissner says:

Love your fabric choice for the Dresden! Can you pls let me know what fabric you used?

24. sallykeeling says:

I have my late husband ties could I use those for this quilt? Thanks for your help.

• Mary Andra Holmes says:

Omgosh Sally, that would be so beautiful. Depending on the width of the tie will depend on how many you can get to fit in the Dresden and still lay flat. Try to keep them 7 3/4″ long. Because you do not need a seam to make your point, as its already there. Start stitching using 1/4′ seam allowance. You may be able to get 18 to 20 to form your circle as long as it still lays flat. Adjustments will take place in the seam allowance. Try not to make them bigger then 1/4″. You may have to play with them but it will be so worth it. I would love to see your finish. Please tag me when you post it. I’m sure others will love your idea too. A beautiful heartfelt tribute. I am sorry for your loss. Hugs <3