QAL: Fabric Requirements

With just one week until we kick off with our first block pattern, it’s time to share the fabric requirements.

22 Fat Quarters OR 2 Layer Cakes
4 ½ yards background
1 yard border
5/8 yard binding
4 ½ yards backing

template plastic*
hand or machine applique supplies*

*these garnishes are optional and will only be used if you choose to follow the paths with applique blocks

Some notes about the design:

• This quilt is designed to work with precuts – fat quarters or Layer Cakes® are the best choice. Working with fat quarters or Layer Cakes® will result in a delightfully scrappy quilt.
  • If scrappy is not your thing or you just want to have more repetition of prints or colors, you may decide to substitute a few of the fat quarters for a half yard or two of a favorite fabric.
  • The quilt is a medallion design meaning that we start with a center block and work our way out with a series of borders around the center – sort of like a giant log cabin!
  • Medallion quilts require a certain level of accuracy so before you start sewing, it’s a good idea to practice and measure your scant 1/4″ seam.
  • Even though the blocks themselves will be a surprise each week, you don’t need to worry too much about color placement with a medallion design as the rounds each week let you balance things out a little easier than a standard horizontal sampler quilt.

We want you to have FUN with this quilt along! We have a wonderful team of Chefs who have worked very hard to design this experience and they are all around to answer questions throughout this process.  Don’t forget to visit their sites and follow them to see what fabrics they’re working with and get some sneak peeks into the process.

CAMP COUNSELORS:

Christine Weld
blog: The Quarter Inch
instagram: @christine.weld

Jessica Dayon
blog: Skein and Hook
instagram: @skeinandhook

Kristin Esser
blog: Simple. Handmade. Everyday.
instagram: @kristin_esser

Kristina Brinkerhoff
blog: Center Street Quilts
instagram: @centerstreetquilts

Mary Andra Holmes
blog: Sisters Quilting Trunk
instagram: @mahquilter

Mona Phelps
blog: Kentucky Whittaker Creations
instagram:@mona.phelps

Sharla Krenzel
blog: Thistle Thicket Studio
instagram: @thistlethicketstudio

CAMP SCHEDULE:

Sundays – informational and/or social posts (visit us on social media these days to check in!)

Mondays – Path A blocks

Wednesdays – Path B blocks

Fridays – borders/catch up days

The bus comes next week so pack your bags!!!!

Oda May

NOTE: This is one post in a series of quilt-along posts. Find the first one {here}.

Oda May

Oda May

The Moda Bake Shop is a division of Moda Fabrics that provides online recipes which you can use with the wide range of Moda Pre-cuts. All sizes and types of projects will be featured from various designers and shops. Tutorials for various Moda projects sheets will be illustrated with step by step pictures. Some techniques and products will also be featured throughout, so check back often for what is "baking" here at Moda Fabrics.
Oda May

Latest posts by Oda May (see all)

46 comments on “QAL: Fabric Requirements

1. Fiona says:

Hi there, does anyone know size of quilt?

2. This is a new one to me, but…holy OMgoodness I’m curious. Would this pattern work with 1 layer cake and 10 FQs? I’m eager to see what this is all about!

• I have a similar question: I want to use a layer cake of Nest along with fat quarters from Pepper and Flax … how many fat quarters will I need?

• If you’re using a Layer Cake, you’ll likely use around 8-10 fat quarters, too. Since it’s a Choose Your Own Adventure quilt, we estimated the fabric requirements toward the high end of what would be needed. If you choose options that don’t take up as much fabric, then you’ll likely need a few less fat quarters. I hope that helps!!

• Hi Velda, Yes! The quilt should work well with 1 Layer Cake and 10 FQs. 🙂

3. ArtsyOne says:

As previous posters have said – given the amount of fabric required, what is the size of the quilt? How much fabric for just the center medallion? Would it be suitable for a baby quilt?

4. lori says:

the ‘printer friendly version’ takes me to a plus sign quilt 🙁

5. Donna says:

It has been stated that there is a printable calendar for our use in helping to schedule everything. Can someone help me find it?

• sharon says:

There’s something after the instructor list, not so much a calendar, but what to expect on what days

6. Brenda Wall says:

I hit Control P and printed the 3 pages I needed for the information with no problem.

7. Kathy says:

I guess until I see the pattern I am not sure what fabric I will use

8. Susan says:

Is this a mystery quilt?

9. JJ Tileston says:

I’m super excited!

10. Gillian says:

I guess my earlier comment was removed?? Are we going to be able to print the fabric requirements list? Looking forward to participating

11. Anne Dirks says:

Is this a free QAL?

12. JJ Tileston says:

Would Christmas fabrics work?

13. Just ordered my FQ bundle. I have never made a medallion quilt. Looking forward to this adventure.

14. Chris Breckinridge says:

am a newbie now do you get involved with doing this?

• Mona Phelps says:

Hi Chris – all you need to do is follow along the blog posts and directions will be posted. This week, you need to gather the fabric which is listed in this post.

15. Judy says:

Can’t wait to start!

16. Michalee says:

This sounds like “fun” but omy goodness do I really need to start another project!

17. Laurie says:

I have never done a quilt along with this group and never a Medallion so this ought to be challenging and fun at the same time. Finger crossed.

18. Nancy Pecor says:

I like medallion quilts but a mystery is harder to wrap my head around. I like more control over my choices. But want to give it a try to help work through my pile of fat quarters.

19. I am pretty much a beginner, can I still do this? Or is to more for intermediate quilters

• Lisa Calle says:

You will have a choice of blocks as you go – two options each week – so you can choose the easier block. The most important thing will be for you to maintain an accurate seam allowance as you make each block so that it all goes together properly in the end. You can definitely do it!

20. Sharon says:

How many weeks does this last?

21. Kathy J Firth says:

Well, I just bought 5 yards of background fabric. I’ll be using Summer Breeze III that have been in my stash for awhile. Excited!!!

22. Jackie says:

Did it mention how large the finished quilt will be?

23. Sue says:

Good grief. There has got to be an easier way to view the fabric requirements and subsequent posts. I feel like I am on a scavenger hunt. Perhaps a link to the side for each one, “Fabric Requirements,” “Path A,” etc.

• Lisa Calle says:

This is the nature of blogging! When we post in real time, the older posts go below the recent ones. If you don’t print as you go, it will require a little work on your part to find the pieces. However, if you wait until the end, we will put it together in one file.

24. Adrienne says:

Any suggestions how to make this into a lap quilt???

• Mona Phelps says:

As you go along each week, you’ll have options to add borders, which will make the quilt larger. You can stop when you get to the size you want!

25. Megan I. says:

The 1 yard border fabric… Is that the little borders throughout or the final border for the quilt at the end?

26. cd says:

Is the “1 yard border” item in the list for the borders between the A/B patterns each week? (not sure if I can get away with just having extra background fabric or whether the 1 yard border is some separate need. Thanks!

• Lisa Calle says:

The background fabric is what our Camp Counselors calculated for the inner borders. There is a separate outer border for the 1 yard cut.