Challenge Check-In

We are a little more than halfway through the month and it’s time for a check-in!

A few weeks ago, Oda May announced the first monthly challenge for the year – Layer Up! This month is all about tackling those quilt tops we’ve been avoiding. My tried and true method is to smooth the layers, secure with masking tape and pin together – AKA pin basting.  I have friends who are huge fans of fusible batting and basting sprays but I’m a little too messy to make those work for me. I have basting many quilts to my floor and/or pants and/or hands.

Oda May has a couple of other methods you might want to try as well – check out this reader question she answered on basting.

My favorite tool for basting is absolutely my Kwik Klip. It saves your fingers when closing a lot of safety pins.

1871.00009

{ask your favorite quilt shop if they stock it and if not, they can order from United Notions}

Curved safety pins are also a must (that little curve makes it much easier to close them up through the layers of the quilt sandwich). United Notions carries a wide variety of these.

0750.00028

So, tell me – how are you basting? Did you choose one quilt you really wanted to finish or just pick the next one on the list? I have one basted and I plan to get one more ready for my retreat next weekend.

If you are participating in the challenge, share below and Oda May will choose someone to win a sweet little prize!

COMMENTS ARE NOW TURNED OFF AND A GIVEAWAY WINNER HAS BEEN CHOSEN.

34 comments on “Challenge Check-In

1. Carol W says:

I have several tops ready to go with batting and backing. Hopefully i will get at least one pin basted during our snowstorm this weekend.

2. Jen B says:

I have tried spray basting for the first time. I used a few pins too, just to be on the safe side.

3. Gale says:

I hope to spray baste a Valentine quilt I made probably 4 years ago, early next week. I want to put it on our bed for February 1st. I sometimes pin small projects.

4. Darlene says:

For smaller quilts I have used fusible batting and minimal pins. Large quilts I send to a longarmer friend.

5. Darlene says:

I like fusible batting for small projects.

6. Melanie c says:

I am a spray basting gal!!! I spray baste EVERYTHING! I have quite a few tops waiting to be quilted -next up is a layer cake quilt!

7. Gale says:

I hope to spray baste a valentine quilt I made about 4 years ago. Want to get it quilted for February 1st. I do pin some smaller projects.

8. A. Bouwman says:

I used to pin baste but the last few I have basted with long stitches

9. Terry says:

I have pin basted two quilts this month. One’s at the machine with just a little more quilting to do. I am on a roll. I have challenged myself to free-motion quilt at least 30 minutes a day. Of course this is turning into at least two hours a day. I may actually have quilts from those QAL blocks that have been simmering for 10 years.

10. Tricia says:

I have spray basted — and finished — two quilts so far this month. The larger one about killed me during the basting process! I finally remembered the tip to tape down the backing, and that helped immensely.

11. Linda says:

I basted, quilted and bound two small quilts. Hooray!!!!!

12. Bonnie S. Harrell says:

I have one pin basted and one ready to go! I am determined to quilt the pined one today.

13. Diane says:

I pin basted a quilt this month. I use my kitchen floor, but the older I get, the harder it is to move around on the floor!

14. I also pin baste and have a quilt all ready to go under the machine. You are right by saying that the curved pins are much easier to use! No spray basting for me. I’d have overspray everywhere!

15. Gale says:

I hope to spray baste a valentine quilt I made 4 Years ago this week. I sometimes pin baste smaller projects. I want to have it ready for our bed February 1st.

16. sheilaoxley says:

As soon as I finish the top I get it spray basted and ready to quilt. Right now I have one ready to go as soon as I’m done quilting my friends quilt. I don’t have a backlog of quilts waiting to be quilted because I get excited and can’t wait to get the quilt finished and ready to snuggle!!!

17. Perri Ann Kaufman says:

Up until recently I always have pinned my quilt tops. My daughter has always basted so when she came to visit she showed me how she does it and helped me baste one…..she made it look easy. I am going to try the next one on my own and we will see spray basting sure does make it easier during the quilting process! I love that my daughter is now teaching me new things.

18. cruisefan says:

Small items I baste with long stitches.
    Big items (I confess) are not basted.
    I send those together with the backing fabric to a longarm machine quilting company where they take care of it. (I definitely do not have the space or the nerve to do basting of these gigantically big quilts myself)

19. Peggy Terzian says:

I have layered and pin basted 8 tops so far for my mom, and I have 6 tops and a tree skirt layered/pinned for myself. These are all kid quilts for charity, so not so time-consuming…but I still have 21 for Mom and 5 more for me to get done this month. That’s what I’ll be working on today!

20. Alycia says:

I quilted a table runner using the curved basting pins and my Kwik Klip. I love that thing! I have finished 2 things on my UFO list for the year and the 3rd one is “this close” to being done.

21. Sue H says:

I pin-baste with curved pins and the Kwid Klip too. I heard about a way to pin-baste without having to lay it out on the floor. I’ll be trying that and will report.

22. Polly Monica says:

I have asthma, so I can’t be around any spray baste glues. I lay out my quilt top, batts, and backings on my big kitchen island for pin basting! I do use the curved safety pins for this up use, unless it’s a small project, an in that case, I just use regular straight pins! Great challenge!!

23. Heather says:

I spray basted a quilt this weekend. I pin baste smaller quilts but bigger ones get spray baste. I even started quilting it.

24. DeeDee Isaacs says:

I’m lucky enough to own a long-arm, so I utilize the basting stitch on
    it…baste top and bottom and sides before quilting, makes a world of difference. I have used the Kwik Klip as well and its name speaks for it.

25. Katie Ellsworth says:

I use pins to baste if I’m doing the quilting. I’ve tried the sprays – but I Ike the reusable pins. One quilt is basted, quilted and off to its new owner.

26. Cindy G says:

I have many tops to quilt in various sizes. I have one basted and ready to go. I’ll baste some small ones I’m not as particular about. I’ll be following along!

27. Cindy G says:

I forgot to say. I’m a pin baster. If I had a large space to spray baste I would do that more. I started out sew basting on large frames with my quilt guild.

28. Kate Palmer says:

I pinned! I had three quilt tops entirely ready to with backing and binding ready so I picked the “least exciting” one and was able to get it quilted this last week. We introduced my older kids to Indiana Jones yetsterday. Turns out it takes 1 1/2 movies to complete the hand binding.

29. I pin baste too and have never used the Kwik Klip too. I’m curious about it, so may have to buy one! I’m almost finished with the first UFO on my list, just need to finish burying the threads and then bind it!

30. Larina Wammer says:

I just quilted my first quilt on my sewing machine and I used fusible batting. I would like to try the spray adhesive, but if I make too much of a mess, I’ll be buying the kwik klip and using safety pins.

31. Peggy Cairo says:

I got one baby quilt basted and halfway quilted this weekend. I also got my first chenille blanket basted, sewn, and cut. Thank goodness for the snow!

32. Pat D says:

Once I finish a quilt top, I put it on a table right next to the door of my sewing room. So I cannot go in or out of the room without looking at the unfinished top. UFO guilt makes me pin baste it as soon as possible. I use the Kwik Clip every time. I have used basting spray, but it would cause the needle and thread to get sticky while machine quilting — the tread would stick and cause a loop and eventually break. That may be just a quirk of my machine, but since I stopped using basting spray I have a lot less thread breakages.

33. pikbee says:

I saw Kwik Klip at the shop but I thought it looks like a screwdriver :p Thank you for sharing the post!

34. Kate says:

I plan on basting my five UFO at our quilt meeting on Tuesday. We meet in a large room so I can put three large tables together, and will try spray basting. That will be a first, as I’ve never spray basted before I usually pin on the floor. Someone at our last meeting showed me how she spray and pinned her quilts so I’ll give it a try.