This Year, I Will…

Do you make New Year’s resolutions? I’ve never made a formal list, but I usually have a few things in mind that I’d like to accomplish. A lot of the time, that list includes a lot of sewing projects I just never seem to get through! This year, I thought it would be fun to resolve to do some things with all of you Moda Bake Shop readers.

Let’s all do one thing each month that will help us accomplish a sewing goal or give back to others in our community. Each month, I will announce a challenge – something I personally want to tackle that month – and you can take on the same task or pick something that speaks to you. Either way, share what you are doing here on the blog, on Instgram (#odamaychallenge2019) or in our Facebook group. Let’s inspire each other and guess what? I bet the Moda fabric fairy will have some treats to make each challenge extra sweet. 😉

My challenge this month is LAYER UP. Basting is my least favorite part of quilting and they always say to tackle the hardest task first! If you have any tips for me, I’d love to hear them! Or is basting your least favorite part of quilting, too? We can form a support group.

Be sure to tag @modabakeshop and #odamaychallenge2019 so we can see your posts!

35 comments on “This Year, I Will…

1. Kathy campbell says:

This is a timely blog,thank you! Imat that point in 2 quilts and finding it difficult to push myself to get on with basting. Any ideas welcomed.

2. LeAnn Ryan says:

I have my UFO challenge number done for this month and now I am trying to use up scraps by working on my Arkansas Crossroads quilt. It is still in the piecing stage and I really need to work on it more.

3. Anne Wiens says:

What a great idea, and I accept!

I wrote on each page of my calendar, “By the end of the month, I will _____________________”.

I’ll decide at the beginning of each month what I think I can accomplish by the end.

I have so many small projects that just need quilting and/or binding. We’ll see what happens. I know one month will be “weed the scrap pile.”

4. Karen McMahon says:

I really don’t like to baste either. My machine is in the shop and I am lost without her and I realize I do have a few tops I can get ready for quilting. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Joanne Lee says:

This year, I plan to finish a UFO before I start a new project. I am going to try to limit my fabric purchasing to projects that are for gifts rather than for my stash (it is overflowing).

6. Heather says:

That’s my goal too. I want to layer finished quilt tops and quilt them. I have probably one I could do every single week, but I will stick to one a month.

7. Cheryl says:

Spray baste.

• ellen says:

I’m with you on that–spray baste. And–fusible batting is great when you run out of basting spray.

8. Mary Andra Holmes says:

I’m in. I have quilts that need binding and quilts that need the last border so they can go to the quilter. Once a month sounds doable.

9. Marla Brown says:

I have a pile pinned for quilting…..ugh

10. Cindy says:

Spray baste is what I do.

11. Jocelyn says:

I have learned to love spray basting. It has worked so well for me in keeping my layers together. I’m up for the challenge.

12. Peggy Terzian says:

I actually layer both my quilt tops and my mom’s, as she doesn’t have the physical strength or the space to layer. Fortunately, we make mostly baby size quilts for Linus, so they’re not very big. I accept the challenge to get all my (and my mom’s) quilts layered! I will post on Instagram when I can take a picture of the completed pile! Thanks for the poke, Oda May!

13. Barb McKinlay says:

I’m in.

14. Mary Ellen says:

I don’t mind basting with the exception I don’t have any space to spread out. I can’t get on the floor, and have tried basting on our bed – too soft & too much bending. I’m in. But for me, I have a pile that need binding. So, will try to get one binding done each month.

15. Sue H says:

Challenge accepted! Since I machine quilt and hand quilt, I will do my best to get two quilts basted — one with pins and the other thread. Now to decide which ones to tackle first! Love this challenge!

16. Deb says:

Basting is also my least favorite part of quilting.
    I use spray baste and find i like it better than other options

17. I seem to wait until I have several items and then bust them out. But I only do smaller items myself, large quilts get farmed out! Spray basting is my normal method unless it’s so small I can just pin it. But I am too good at pinning myself, so I avoid that as much as possible. LOL!

18. A Bouwman says:

I have just layer two quilts and was helped by my mother. It is so much easier working together. But there are two more tops waiting.

19. Sue H says:

Count me in! I hate basting too but have plenty I should be doing. Once I get past the basting, I love the quilting process. My goal will be to baste 2 quilts — one with pins for machine quilting and one with thread for hand quilting. That ought to keep me busy! Thanks for this great motivation!!!

20. I am lucky, I have a longarm so I don’t baste at all. I just load and go. This year, I have resolved to finish 5 quilts for the Carolina Hurricane Quilt Project.

21. Meredith Hawk says:

I have a snowball runner that I started last summer with the hopes of using it on my dining room table after Christmas decorations were put away. I resolve to finish it this month!

22. Katy Aanenson says:

I absolutely hate pin basting, but if I’m making a project that I can quilt on my machine, I don’t let myself begin another project until I’ve pin basted and quilted the last one. And I try to do that right away so I don’t have to press my quilt top again. I love hand binding, which feels like my reward for pin basting. 🙂

23. Carol W says:

I got out several quilt tops and prepared batting and backing so that I can get them basted this month.

24. Marlene Chandler says:

I’m in. I have several quilt tops that need some love. I hate pinning so maybe I’ll try spray basting. My goal is to baste at least one quilt this month.

25. Carol says:

I have a longarm too, so you’d think my quilts would all be quilted. I have so many in the queue to quilt because I’m always wanting to sew one more, and can’t sew and quilt at the same time. I’ll join the challenge to quilt at least one quilt in January!

26. Linda Paredez says:

I’m in! I have one quilt that is ready to baste (top was completed in August 2018). Many more that aren’t yet to that stage. I will get the one basted in January…it is a big one, so it entails crawling around on the floor…I make a frame out of 1 x 4s and C Clamps, then pin my quilts. I only spray baste if they are small.

Looking forward to the monthly challenge! I’m sure I will have something that needs to be done that will mirror your challenge!

27. Pat S says:

I’ve actually never minded basting. Pins are rather satisfying to put in, but I hate removing them as I quilt, so I normally use Elmer’s glue these days. No pins to get trapped behind and a quick wash in warm water (which I would do anyway) and the glue is gone.

28. Sandie says:

I’m in … It’s sew easy to fold that top up and move on to the next one. I’m going to challenge myself to baste one every Monday in January!!

29. Alycia says:

I have a UFO list and will choose one a month to tackle. This is on top of my ongoing BOW and BOM and other projects I am working on or that come up. I am already almost done with January’s!

30. Debbie says:

Great project for January. I am blessed to have a pretty large dining room table on which i can pin/baste. I also do my Mom’s as she can no longer bend over to baste her quilts. I quilted 2 large quilts and
    bound them. One is done. That was a plus for me. Mom and I are stash busting this year so the less we buy the more stash we use. Yay!

31. sheilaoxley says:

I spray baste and it’s not my favorite because I have to get on the floor and I have bad knees. I baste in my garage which makes it worse because of the cement floor, but I keep thinking of getting to quilt it and what design I want to do and how it’ll be done and I can use it! In other words I think past the bad part to the best part, a finished quilt!

32. Thea says:

I also use basting spray. Pins hate me, and my back and knees don’t appreciate pinning.

33. I don’t baste, but I do have a tendency to design, cut, and promptly set aside 🙁 My goal for 2019 is to add 1 new quilt a month to my non-profit, Quilt 2 End ALZ. I accept your challenge, and if I stick to it, ALL of my cut-but-not-started projects will be completed! Thank you for such fun motivation!!