Welcome once again to the Moda Bake Shop Countdown to Christmas! My name is Jen Daly and I’m so happy to be here today to share my “Star Bauble” block. This fun little block features a Friendship Star nestled within a Christmas bauble—two of my favorites in one!
This quilt block finishes at 6″ square.
1 fat quarter red print (shown in Project Red by Sweetwater)
1 fat quarter green print (shown in Ombre Avocado by V and Co.)
1 fat quarter background fabric (shown in Bella Solids – White)
From red print, cut:
- 4 rectangles, 2¼” x 3¾”
From green print, cut:
- 1 square, 2″ x 2″
- 1 rectangle, 1½” x 2½”
From background fabric, cut:
- 2 strips, 1″ x 5½”
- 8 squares, 2″ x 2″
- 2 rectangles, 1½” x 2½”
MAKE HALF-CHEVRON UNITS:
- Use a pencil to lightly draw a diagonal line from corner to corner on the wrong side of the 8 white 2″ x 2″ squares.
- Layer a marked white 2″ square atop a red print 2¼” x 3¾” rectangle with right sides together. Stitch pair together on drawn line.
- Trim seam allowances to ¼” and press toward white.
- Repeat with a second white 2″ square at opposite end of red print 2¼” x 3¾” rectangle to make a half-chevron unit. Repeat steps to make 4 half-chevron units.
MAKE ORNAMENT TOP UNITS:
- Lay out 2 white 1½” x 2½” rectangles and 1 green print 1½” x 2½” rectangle in a row.
2. Join pieces together to make an ornament top unit. Press seam allowances toward green print.
- Layer the green print 2″ square atop a half-chevron unit with right sides together.
- Partially stitch the pair together. Beginning at the raw edges and using a ¼” seam, sew halfway into the green print 2″ square as shown.
- Finger press partial seam open toward the green print.
- Join a second half-chevron unit to the unit from step 3, this time sewing a complete seam. Press seam allowances toward the green print center square.
5. In the same manner, add a third half-chevron unit.
- Add a fourth half-chevron unit.
- Finish sewing the partial seam sewn in step 2.
- Sew a white 1″ x 5½” strip to the left and right sides of the unit from step 7.
- Sew an ornament top unit to the top of the unit from step 8 to complete the block.
One charming quilt block that finishes at 6″ square.
There are countless possibilities for this fun little block. If you share your blocks on Instagram or Facebook, please tag me @JenDalyQuilts—I’d love to see what you come up with!