At the Seashore – Fabric Requirements

Welcome to the beach! We are going to have so much fun together this summer. First things first, let’s introduce ourselves…

This post is part of our summer quilt-along series. Find the rest of the posts by clicking {here}.

This quilt-along is all due to the talent and hard work of this group of Chefs. Please visit their blogs and follow them on social media!

Audrey Mann

Sharla Krenzel
{blog: Thistle Thicket Studio}
{instagram: @thistlethicketstudio}

Mary Andra Holmes
{blog: Sisters Quilting Trunk}
{instagram: @mahquilter}

This is our fourth summer to quilt-along with all of you! It’s something we plan and think about all year long and we hope you have just as much fun as we do. The aim of this series is to get you to make something fun and to challenge yourself a little bit whether with the block designs or going out of your comfort zone with prints and patterns.

For the blocks, you will need:

• 1 Fat Quarter Bundle
  • 3 to 5 yards background fabric

One fat quarter bundle plus a solid color background will make a coordinated quilt with lots of interest and variety. Want less variety? Substitute for yards or half yards. And if you want more variety, go wild with the fat eighths.

We have a lot of fun blocks and several quilt settings planned for you to make a quilt that is totally unique to you! Over the next few days, our Chefs will share four different setting options. Each setting has it’s own requirements for fabric in addition to the fabrics listed above.

Each setting uses 12″ blocks and we will have lots of block options for you to choose from! If you want to have a consistent color or print throughout your quilt, buy yardage of that fabric, not fat quarters. The blocks have an ocean theme so you may want to keep that in mind as you select your prints and colors.

Our Chefs are using some of the newest fabric lines from Ruby Star Society,  V. and Co, and April Rosenthal as well as lots of our beautiful Bella Solids.

Some important dates for the quilt-along:

• June 5: How to Quilt-Along (checklist printable included!)
  • June 6-12: Quilt setting options
  • June 15: Quilt-Along Q&A
  • June 18-August 20: Block posts (every third day)
  • August 23: Quilt label
  • August 28: Farewell Luau

Don’t forget to join our Facebook group so you can chat fabric, show us what you’ve picked and hear what others have planned for their summer at the beach! You can find us (here).

See you at the seashore!

44 comments on “At the Seashore – Fabric Requirements

1. Sarah Deveney says:

I am just curious as to how many fat quarters. Will 20 be enough or should we look at 30 or definitely 40? These bundles come in a range:). I am looking forward to sewing along!

2. Eliza says:

How many fat quarters do we actually need?

• Hi Eliza! I posted this on the Facebook group and maybe it can help you out 🙂
      I am sewing along, and I think the FQB is just a general way of saying grab a bunch of fabrics that you like the way they work together! I am sewing along as one of the hosts, and I started with a Half yard bundle of the Ombre Confetti Dots, and a FQB of the new colors. I have way more than enough (Probably around 50 Fat quarters?). There will be about 20 blocks to choose from and several different setting options, each requiring different amount of fabrics. I’d start with 20-25 Fat quarters and go from there. A fun twist this year is that the setting options are presented first, before the blocks so you can get a feel for which one you would like as you are gathering your fabrics. Feel free to message me if you have any questions, and I will try and help!

3. Amanda says:

Is there a preview of what this looks like finished? Or is it a surprise? New to QALs.

• Diana Cowan says:

Looks like you’ll at least be able to see the setting options starting tomorrow. Normally those come out at the end.

4. Judy oram says:

So no sewing instructions yet? Just get your supplies? I am in corner brook, Newfoundland. Canada.

5. Jessica Cook says:

Do you have a link for the FB page?

6. Karen Moses says:

This is my first time. Will I get an e-mail or do I just go to this site and get instructions?

7. Janice Svercek says:

Is there a picture of the compleated quilt anywhere?

• Pat Gose says:

I don’t think so. They are releasing previews of layout choices this week. From what I understand the blocks, when they begin to be released, will post to the website every third day. They are a surprise as we go along.

8. Could I get a link to the correct FB group please? Thanks!

9. Christine says:

Which FB group should I be referring to? Could you post a link please? Thanks!

10. Pat says:

May I make a suggestion? I am having trouble reading your blog because the words are a pale gray instead of black. I hope you can change the lettering to black and make it easier to read for aging eyes. Thanks so much for all you do.

• Chelsey Olson says:

A little trick that you may find helpful on any website….If you are on a Windows or Linux computer, hold the Ctrl key and the + key at the same time and you can zoom in (⌘ and the + sign on a Mac). Hold the Ctrl key (⌘ on a Mac) and the – key to zoom back out. Hope that helps!

• Dot says:

Also, see whether your browser has a “Reader” view. This will show only the main part of the page, and will use a nice black font. I use Reader view on a Mac with Safari, and it eliminates lots of clutter and the irritating gray fonts. I click a little icon in the address bar to switch between Reader and “regular” views. Reader doesn’t show the comments section, though.

11. Robin Preston says:

Hello…
    Looking forward to this year’s Quilt along. I loved last years!
    You say that there will be 12 ” blocks, so that means no various sized ones or rows like last year? I’m having trouble picturing this. 12″ blocks sound really big to commit to, and I’m a little nervous. Is there any other information that you can give me?

• Nicola Dodd says:

Hello Robin, that’a great question. There will be lots of variety in the blocks, so every one is going to feel like a finish! The settings are gorgeous too (Oda May will start sharing them on Thursday) and add some smaller scale elements…the tough decision will be which one you choose 😉

12. Ginger Thomas says:

I’m new to this. I am not on Facebook so how do I obtain the pattern? Thanks

13. Joyce Remley says:

I’m in!

14. Jacqueline Wilson says:

I’m ready to go!

Also your link in the 4th sentence isn’t working – wordpress thing.

15. Arline says:

I have been collecting FQ all in batiks for a long time and am going to use them for the QAL even though they are not “beachy” colors. Having never used such a variety of FQ before I know I must prewash since a sample washing has shown bleeding. Do you suggest that they be separated into dark, medium and light and wash separately with color catchers and is so, how do you wash several without them unraveling?

• Christine says:

Most, if not all, batik fabric is very high thread count – meaning very little, if any raveling. I just washed some batiks with no special handling of edges and no raveling. Yes I separated into dark, medium and light. Be sure to use color catchers, maybe more than one for the darks. Also, if you have any reds definitely do them in a load of their own. I’ve found the reds tend to leech out their dye more than other colors do.

• I wash fq in mesh laundry bags, depending how big bag is, loosly pack them by color. The darker the fabric, 2 color catchers. Wash on delicate if small load. I throw them in dryer with bag. Keeps them from unraveling to much. I got my mesh laundry bags from Aldi’s grocery store years ago as a special item.

16. Rhonda says:

Hi,
    This is my first Moda event and I’m super excited! I will not be using Moda fabrics and am just checking in to see if it’s ok for me to post photos of the fabrics I’m using . Thanks!

17. Judy Blinkenberg says:

I would like to join but wonder about all the different sizes and difficulty. I will see what I can find.

18. Christine Lynch says:

I agree, 12 inch blocks are not usually what I work with but this would be my first challenge. Also, 20 to choose from…maybe I’ll make a pillow. It doesn’t leave much room for sashing.

19. Michelle says:

is there a finished quilt that we can see to help us decide on colors?

Also, If I am seeing this post does that mean I am “enrolled” and will see all others? I didnt find anywhere specific to sign up.

• Eliza says:

There’s no “sign up”, you just come back to the website to get instructions. They are only showing the settings for the four quilts, the actual blocks are a mystery.

20. Carolyn M Trembacz says:

I just shared this to our quilt group. It will be fun to share at our meetings!

21. cruisefan says:

I do not use Facebook. Can I participate at all?

22. Krista says:

To everyone above. Be patient. You can get all the patterns and everything you would see on FAcebook by coming to this website. The link for “other posts” won’t work until there are “other posts”. Moda bake shop will add additional posts on the days they’ve outlined in the schedule, so mark your calendars and come back to this page frequently! And totally have fun with it. This is a great project to try new things, experiment, and make mistakes. And it’s still going to be an awesome quilt at the end I’m sure! See you at the shore!!!

23. K says:

I enjoyed making the quilt last summer and am looking forward to this year. Thank you for all your hard work.

24. Barbie says:

Thank you for all your hard work. I have one question though and I don’t know if I’d missed it but are all the quilts going to finish at the same size and what size is that or are the quilts going to finish at different sizes?

• Nancy A. says:

Barbie, look in the upper left-hand corner of the Project Tracker that is on the “How to Quilt Along” post. The finished sizes for the four settings are there. Or, make your own layout so it can be whatever size you want!

25. Sherri B says:

According to the “important dates to remember”; there was to be a post called June 15: Quilt-Along Q&A. I watched the blog yesterday and a post wasn’t done? What is the Quilt-Along Q&A? What information were we to acknowledge?